Sunday, September 2, 2007

I'm a grandma!!

Kamrunnahar went into labour this afternoon, and now I'm the proud grandmother of two beautiful kittens!

The name Kamrunnahar (Kamrun for short) is a little odd (...quite odd actually) in a Bengali context in that it is a human name of previous generations. However, my mother kept this name for a different reason: it's because my cat bites a lot and 'to bite' in Bengali is 'kamrano' and so she thought the name was very apt. Now when guests come over to our house I have to refrain from calling Kamrun because inevitably someone's mother or grandmother is called Kamrunnahar. So at first they get very shocked and possibly even offended when they see my furry little black and white baby strutting in under the name of Kamrunnahar but once they overcome the shock they usually guffaw when they hear the name was kept because Kamrun bites. 'kamrunnahar kamray!'

No comments: