Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lisboa - day 1

I thought I would like to remember my days here, and Rui suggested I would do it on the blog, so hey why not? I will be not very elaborate though. sorry....

I landed in Lisbon on Tuesday night. Not very surprisingly S, R and A were there to welcome me. Su got a new haircut, very movie star from the 20's looks great on her. R on the other hand grew her on the front of his head and not just the back of his head and is not homo-hairyus - a very intelligent but still wild form of life.

So you know we don't like to waste time and we immediately went for a drive in Lisbon to a few observation points from which we saw the river, the bridges the nice neighborhood of Alfama and some more I don't remember the names of, the center etc. Lisbon is kind of a hilly chaotic maze on hills with a river a lot of tiled roofs etc. very beautiful.

I am staying at A's place. which a gorgeous apartment here in the center, everything about the place is so Ana. it's just beautiful. On Wed Su had to go to Algarve to teach untul Fri. A had to go to a meeting at uni so I walked with her and she left me at the Galubenkian foundation where I went to a museum with quite an impressive collection of art from all periods. I liked the Egyptian and European rooms.

At noon I met Rui for lunch at the patio of the museum. It has a really nice garden and it was such a sunny and glorious day and we sat and talk endlessly (which is our most prominent talent undoubtedly). An hour later R had to leave but A took his place and we kept on talking. As always I had desert before the meal. Yes!

When we were done with sitting in the warming sun of the garden A and I went to the modertnart museum which had some nice exhibitions, noth video and paintings. There were many kids at the museum. I find it marvelous that there are so many young children taken to all these cultural activities. I find Portuguese people quite cultural. later A and I took a walk in Lisbon, sadly I can' t remember the names of all the places but we started more or less in a monument for the 70's revolution, walked down the gardens until Avenida de Liberdade, went through Baixa until the Praca do Comercio, and got to the river. We had a great ice cream and visited Chiado which is a fancy place where we picked up our Adriana Calcanhotto tickets. woohoo!!!!!

We kept walking home and I took a nap. then we went out for dinner downtown in this big old building like an old palace that serves food from alentego! it was really great! very nice atmoshpere and food.

After that R joined us and we went to Maxime to see a concert by Walter Benjamin a yound Portugeuse underground artist. the place is really nice (it is also a Cabaret some nights) and we sat in a booth. the music was kind of American, David Bowey, Lou Reed vibe to it. it was really a very authentic experience.

Then we went home to sleep!

And that was day 1.



No comments: