Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lisboa - day 2

So on Thu I woke up and R and A both had stuff to do. Su was still in Algarve.
So following A's advice I took the tram 15 to Belem from praca da Figueira (btw - if I didn't mention it of course I am very settled with a local mobile phone a public transportation ticket. We got everything on day 1).

Belem is a really really beautiful place. Again following advice I immediately went to eat pasteis de Belem which are kind of cream cakes that are very very famous. So two cakes and a coffee and I was good to go. I went up a very high monument shaped like a ship commemorating the great portuguese expeditions that started in Belem. it's really high and you get great view from there of the city and "the golden gate" bridge. afterwards I went to the chuch and monestary of Jeronimos that are really interesting architectually. Vasco de Gama and Camoes the poet are put to rest there and the whole place is made of carved stone, the ceilings are really high all in the 16th century manueline style.

Later I went to the museum of modern art where I saw a photo exhibition by a friend of Ana's - Daniel. There is some nice surreal exhibition. Of course there were a lot of kids there. I climbed the tower of belem which also gives good view and a perspective about life here 500 years ago nad then I took the tram back to have lunch with Rui

We had lunch in a hip cafe called Noo Bai in a very nice neighborhood. it was really tasty and the company was great as always. I think we talked mainly politics that day... after lunch we went to Chiado to see an exhibition by a friend of Rui. it's interactive art - a really cool thing - this guy built the Pong video game using a camera, some printer cartridges, a hair dryer and all kinds of stuff. really cool. So Rui and I played against each other.

From there we walked to R's place which is also in a very beautiful neighborhood and is really really beautiful, amazing view. They do know how to live our friends here in Lisbon. We hung out a bit and then met Ana at her place. They had to work a bit so I just read and stuff. then afterwards we had dinner together at Ana's and went to sleep since we were so tired!!!!

And that was day 2.

No comments: